

Board Meeting Minutes for 15 May 2019

Meeting called to order 18:37

Attendees:

mc3cats, Chris Brue, President. Merchandise Mgr
squirrel50, Deb Cox, Vice President
squirrel50, Acting Treasurer
Terrible Ts, Jim Tollefson, Secretary

Mr. Gadget #2, Gene Reed, Cache-cadians Chapter Rep
Winos_Seattle, Antoine Pin, Puget Sound Chapter Rep
Martin_5, Jerry Martin, IE Chapter Rep
bluecanoe, Erin Comstock, Olympic Penn Chapter Rep
TeamPAST, Patrick McColley, South Central Chapter Rep
SuperKnotts, Brian and Vickie Knott, SW Chapter Rep

PeachesandPete, Annette Bailes, Parks Liaison, Campout

Absent:

crs98, Cliff Slaughterback, NEW 48 North Chapter Rep
jtcoffee, Jessie Maxwell, Social Media
NepoKama, Mitch Eatough, Webmaster

Proxies:

Terrible Ts has crs98's proxy.

Item: March meeting minutes approved.

Item: Ape Event

Deb> first off is Ape, I have been crunching numbers after having a meeting with
Compass Creek in person

<Deb> and from the budget I saw last year and what to expect this year we need to
really sell the retro bags

<Deb> and we are looking at going over the projected budget of \$7000 by \$2000 to
\$2500

<Deb> so what I would like to hear at this point is about going over budget or if anyone
has any ideas for

<Deb> cost savings

<Deb> bringing funds

<Deb> auctions

<Mc3cats> One thing that we discussed.....

<Mc3cats> Is doing an merchandise road show.

<Mc3cats> The idea is to bring merch to the chapters via events. We had already done
that in the SW Chapter.

<TheSuperKnotts> We feel like having a sort of mobile store once in awhile would
benefit sales of merch especially since were down here.

<TheSuperKnotts> especially before the holidays
 <Deb> yes and it worked with in the SW great
 <Deb> and we also took the membership renewal / new on the road
 <Winos_Seattle> Yeah. Can we maybe ask other geocaching associations in Oregon, Idaho, California, BC if we can maybe go to their events and promo our goods?
 <Winos_Seattle> nikki and I will be spending 2 weeks in NORCAL in June July. We will be attending events and I will be holding 3 or 4 on. Can I bring some of our stuff down there and see if we can spark up some interest?
 <Deb> I am open to traveling to each chapter for an event for membership renewals / new memberships as well
 <Deb> I believe we do need to discuss or vote on going over budget for the ape
 <Mc3cats> Good point Deb. It seems ANYTHING sales done outside of our website, requires manual input. This is why in the past there has been some hesitation in doing sales at events. However, I am of the opinion that we just cant rely totally on sales via our website....
 <Martin5> Some people like to see what they are buying in person before spending the money on it.
 <Mc3cats> We are the face of this organization and we need to be out with our members. Hence, having membership and merch road shows are important even if that means manual inputting of renewals and sales of inventory.
 <Deb> I agree and also folks like to pay cache and see and touch merch
 <Mc3cats> The Executive Committee should be out in about at events attending WSGA events. I have made it a point to do so. A goal if you will. Have attended events in several chapters on teh west side. Next I focus e* Blueast.
 <Mc3cats> This is a bit of a different approach from prior WSGA regimes, but its something that I feel should be done. Hece we will do some road shows.

Item: Ape Retro Packages

<Mc3cats> In an effort to move some of the old 2018 Ape merch, which there is a good chunk of it, we set up two retro ape packages to sell on our website with the idea....
 <Mc3cats> getting funds in now AND to move stock that we have already paid for and are sitting on.
 <Deb> I put together packages that would still make us a profit

Item: Membership

Deb> also everyone I sent out a list of all members we have and have had that the website will allow me to pull
 <TheSuperKnotts> Deb will we get a list of members in our own chapter sometime ?
 <Deb> yes working on that :) I have been trying to find all of the members that are paid, in my report
 <TheSuperKnotts> ok thank you
 <Deb> I found that when you do a manual renewal they do not pull up in a basic membership or premium membership list

Item: Chapter Reports

<Mc3cats> Does anyone have anything additional to add to their report?
 <Winos_Seattle> Yes.
 <Winos_Seattle> Puget Sound Summer Picnic will be held..

<Winos_Seattle> On July 28th at Lake Wilderness Park in Maple Valley
<Winos_Seattle> I had to reserve a shelter and a few more tables
<Winos_Seattle> I'll have a submission for the treasurer this week

<Bluecanoe> Has the OP ever had an annual event?
<Mc3cats> We will. I can bring the prize wheel too.
<Mc3cats> Erin, I do not believe so. Definitely look at doing something over there.
<Bluecanoe> sounds good. Once I can get a report of where everyone is located I'll go from there
<Mc3cats> The only thing I ask is that reps try not to compete with other neighboring chapter with events on the same day. So try to coordinate with Brian and Vickie as well as with Cliff and Antoine. The OP borders all of these other chapters. The OP is the ONLY chapter on the west side that borders all chapters.
<Winos_Seattle> ok. is cliff holding one on that day too?
<Bluecanoe> im alright with that.
<Mc3cats> Oh yeah, dont be afriad of holding joint events either. Antoine and Gene did that not too long ago.

Item: Outreach

<Deb> @peach the outreach team would love to work with you on some park ideas later
<Mc3cats> Ok. Deb anything to add on Outreach?
<Peach> Would love to work with Outreach, as I have in the past!!
<Deb> no outreach was quite we had one event planned but my boss popped into town that day and I had to pass
<Deb> but worked with the school and got them some info to help them
<Deb> we do have some outreach coming this summer
<Deb> thank you @peach lets chat soon
<Winos_Seattle> I'd like to propose something for outreach.
<Deb> yes
<Deb> @winos_seattle
<Winos_Seattle> Issaquah School district had a Geocaching Club 4 years ago
<Winos_Seattle> it lasted 2 years. Only because there was no education on geocaching.
<Mc3cats> Whats on your mind, Antoinc?
<Winos_Seattle> I know there are some High Schools in the Puget Sound with Geocaching Clubs.
<Deb> this is great info, do you have a contact that I could reach out to
<Winos_Seattle> I'd like to identify them and propose some education, tutorial, mentorship, what have your for their upcoming school year
<Winos_Seattle> I do have a Contact at GroundSpeak
<Mc3cats> Antoine just triggered something I wanted to bring up about Outreach....
<TeamPAST> Also reach out to the city parks depts about their community classes. You can sign up to teach a class through the city and have it published in their activites guide.

Item: Social Media

<Mc3cats> Lets proceed to Social Media.
<Mc3cats> Since Ms. Jessie is not here, we will let her report be as is.

<Mc3cats> Anyone have comments for her about social media?

<Deb> no it was great the numbers are up

<Deb> this is great

<Deb> we are getting questions about the upcoming Ape

Item: Ape Planning and Merchandise Packages

<Mc3cats> Deb, you have been front and center on the Ape as merch goes. Please explain your role in this and why the role came about.

<Deb> @mc3cats, ok and thank you

<Deb> so recently I was in Spokane for work and at the same time Compass Creek asked for one voice

<Deb> from the WSGA I was in town and so I had a meeting with them and listened to their concerns, they were getting

<Deb> several questions / emails from several folks sometimes duplicates and felt that one voice would be a better channel

<Deb> currently we are working on the tag for the snag the tag and it is about to go into production

<Deb> and the coin design as well - Crystal was a huge help in all of her design work, she did amazing

<Deb> what questions does anyone have at this time that I might be able to answer about the coin and tag?

<Mc3cats> One question. Did you get a response from Lisa or JD on when the snag the tag would be ready to be shipped out?

<Mc3cats> Gene, Lisa and JD wanted one contact person with the WSGA to discuss our coin requests. They were not likely multiple people contacting them from one organization. Since Deb is handling WSGA finance, it made sense that she be our "Voice" when it comes to communicating with Compass Creek.

<Mc3cats> Deb, did Lisa or JD give you any idea on when the spot the ape tags would be ready?

<deb> I also mentioned that we are in the talks about what is going in the bags such as pens / pins / hand sanitizer and a couple other things that Jessie was working on

<deb> besides the coins so we can get them listed very soon

<Bluecanoe> what about small cache containers instead of hand sanitizer?

<TeamPAST> Make sure the sanitizer is shipable. I worked with a company once that ordered sanitizer for swag and when it was ship half the items ruptured in shipping.

<deb> good point Patrick thank you

<Mc3cats> Deb, do you have an Ape coin teaser that you can show the board?

<deb> I have a tag teaser :)

<Mc3cats> Oh, the suspense!

<Mc3cats> Ok. I got it. Just for clarification purposes, this tag goes INTO the middle of the coin?

<deb> correct and this is the snag tag, which is different from what will be in the bags we have for sale

Mc3cats> Crystal did a fantastic job designing the coin and tag. I can not wait to see what it looks like

<deb> there are additional tags as well that are not part of the snag tag set so there are different ones

<Mc3cats> Erin, the Ape shirts are being done differently this year. You can find the ape apparel here:

<Mc3cats> <https://rhpromos.com/shop?olsPage=t%2Fgoing-ape>

<Mc3cats> This year the ape apparel will be custom order by the purchaser. No one color. You can make the shirt, hat, or bag how YOU want it. The design will be the same, the background color YOU pick.

<Bluecanoe> Those are so cool! I love it!

<Mc3cats> We went this route to let folks customize design their own ape apparel. Also, it gets us out of having to carry a lot of extra merchandise as well. Like all of those BRIGHT ORANGE ape shirts from last year.

<TeamPAST> Yeah the orange was not a great color. The one thing I have heard over and over is can I get a black shirt

<Mc3cats> Brian/Vicike, if you want a black Ape shirt, GO FOR IT. You can get them in black if you want. What's cool about Red Hat is a portion of the sales comes back to us.

<Mc3cats> We don't have to carry the merchandise BUT we get a little financial kick back from the sales. It's a win win for us.

<Mc3cats> They have a ton of different colors to choose from. Also a bunch of different designs of shirts like tank tops as well as long sleeve shirts.

<Mc3cats> The Ape store on Red Hat is live. You can order now if you want. I do believe you can choose to have them shipped to your home OR pick up at the event.

<TheSuperKnotts> so no shirts in the swag bag right ?

<Gene> .

<deb> correct the shirts are pre order by the cashiers

<TheSuperKnotts> got it , thanks

Martin5> The orange is a good color for the volunteer shirts

<Mc3cats> They are. But we have a lot left over.

<Bluecanoe> Why not fluorescent green

<Winos_Seattle> I can't imagine that would be inexpensive

<Terrible_Ts> Red Hat has Neon Green

<Bluecanoe> would the volunteers have to preorder?

<Mc3cats> Jessie has been talking about doing a small order for volunteers for shirts through Red Hat. I have not seen what the color would be or what will be on them. Yes, they have a SAFETY GREEN shirt. .

<Gene> thanks but no thanks to green yuk

<Bluecanoe> It's just that the orange has been used for the last couple years

<deb> why not let the volunteers pick their color when they sign up?

<Martin5> What I really liked about the Ape shirts last year is the small WSGA logo on the back

<Bluecanoe> I liked that too

<deb> me three

<Mc3cats> Deb, great idea. We can bring that up with Jessie.

<Martin5> It should be a consistent color for volunteers so people know who "works there"

<Peach> Yes, especially since we heard so much about people thinking that Geocaching.com was putting that event on instead of WSGA.

<deb> it could be on the sleeve, or what about parking is green directors purple etc, maybe your spot you work is color set?

<Mc3cats> Great ideas! Volunteers pick the colors, and we have the mini WSGA logo on the back. Excellent point, Annette, We need some brand recognition with the Ape.

Putting our logo on the volunteer shirts will remind folks of just who is putting on the Ape event!

<Mc3cats> Different color shirts for different roles at the event. Hmm, kinda like Star Trek.

<deb> but as Jerry said it needs to say we are volunteers there to help

Bluecanoe> if we go different colors for different locations, it'd be nice to know before what color we'd get

<TeamPAST> Also I would suggest getting the shirts out to people ahead of time. Maybe put the event date on them and they can be used as advertising at events before the APE.

<Bluecanoe> i like blue or turquoise

<Mc3cats> Patrick, I think we can manage that. I will discuss that with Jessie as well. One more reason for us to get our volunteers identified so that we can get a shirt order in and to us before August. Let me work on that with her.

Item: Valley Cities Geotour

Mc3cats> We need to spend some time discussing the Valley Cities GeoTour.

<Bluecanoe> isn't that this weekend?

<Peach> YES IT IS!!

<Mc3cats> Before I roll into this, let me first say, that the executive committee has been spending a bunch of volunteer time on this geotour

<Bluecanoe> And somebody's birthday I heard

<Mc3cats> Deb, Jim and myself have spent quite a bit of time helping Annette make this geotour happen. While we as an organization are NOT financially committing funds to the tour, we are volunteering our time. Lots of it.

<Peach> And that is why the WSGA name is on the coin!!!

<Mc3cats> Jim and I have worked on the website for the tour. Deb, Jim myself and Annette have been placing caches in the 4 cities

<Mc3cats> Annette and I have been working closely with HQ on getting the content uploaded to the geotour page

<Mc3cats> It's been a BIG endeavor for all involved. The WSGA WILL be recognized in various places for this geotour.

<Gene> .

<Mc3cats> The tour kicks off this weekend. with multiple events starting this Friday.

<Terrible_Ts> We have been working on the website valleycitiesgeotour.com Take a look when you get a minute

<Mc3cats> 40 caches in all. Four cities. The Port of Seattle, Kent and Auburn providing funds and hopefully after tomorrow, Renton will kick in some dollars as well.

<Peach> We'd love to have all the chapters in the WSGA to promote this. It is this weekend, May 17 - 19 for all three events, and it is the weekend before the GeoWoodstock down in Texas. We did not schedule it the same weekend as any nearby event or adjoining state that we knew of when we selected the date.

<Bluecanoe> How many caches will be on the route?

<Mc3cats> Annette, has basically morphed the Auburn coin challenge into a GeoTour.

<Mc3cats> Erin, 40

<Peach> Because it is an official GeoTour, the search for the caches to claim the coin goes on for a full year.

<Peach> You must find 9 in each city or 36 total to earn the coin, but you must find all 40 go get the souvenir from HQ for the GeoTour.

<Mc3cats> Besides the small HQ GeoTour, this one will be the biggest in the Seattle area. It has every chance of being a widely successful tour given its proximity to HQ. I see the Ape event reaping the benefits of this too as the tour gives folks one more reason to attend the ape.

<Winos_Seattle> Is there a new version of the website or is this all we've got?

<Terrible_Ts> The website is still being worked on

<Peach> The website is being updated almost daily. It has hotel discounts, etc., and will have more coming.

<Mc3cats> The website is a work in progress.

<Peach> <http://www.valleycitiesgeotour.com>

Mc3cats> Annette has worked really hard making this tour happen. HQ has been fully supportive of Annette and the WSGA to make this tour happen. We hope that all of you get a chance to do the tour while in the area.

<deb> she is a rockstar for sure

<Mc3cats> Annette, you have anything else to add about Valley Cities?

<Peach> And like Chris said, he and Terrible Ts have been extremely helpful in areas that are not my expertise.

<Peach> Come one! Come all! Bring all your geocaching friends, and please other chapters, please publicize this in your area events.

<Mc3cats> Its definitely been a learning process for all involved. I have a better appreciation for the work that goes into these geotours.

Item: Bylaws Committee

<Mc3cats> If nothing else on Valley Cities, lets move on to our next topic, Bylaws Committee

<Mc3cats> I want to restart this committee. With the loss of several members of the previous committee, Ts and myself and Jerry were left from the previous committee.

<Mc3cats> Jerry and Jim, are you two willing to carry on with the committee?

<Bluecanoe> This is the first I've heard of it

<Martin5> yes

<Terrible_Ts> Yes

<Winos_Seattle> Ok, Peach....Done

<Mc3cats> Erin, for history sake, we had a bylaws committee last year to go over our bylaws from top to bottom to review to see if they were still inline with how we conduct ourselves. A number of them were definitely NOT inline.

<Gene> .

<Mc3cats> So, we started the arduous task of reviewing them.

Winos_Seattle> Thank you, Gods of the By-Laws.

<Mc3cats> Out of the bunch we reviewed so far, only 5 were changed or adjusted in some way. HOWEVER, we have not formally voted on the changes. They technically have not come out of committee.

<Bluecanoe> Is there a link to the bylaws?

<Mc3cats> There is on our website.

<Bluecanoe> Oh ok

<Mc3cats> Jerry and Jim, I definitely need you both connected to SLACK which is how we will continue to proceed.

<Terrible_Ts> I am connected

<deb> <https://www.wsgaonline.org/bylaws/>

<Mc3cats> Patrick, you are a newer member of our board, but not brand new, I would like to extend to you an invitation to the committee. Would you be willing to join the committee?

<TeamPAST> Yes I can do that.

<Winos_Seattle> Chris. I'd like to follow-up with a suggestion your made to me back in January. Since Russell was no longer going to pursuit being a board member, he would not be able to continue on the By-laws Committee. You suggested adding me there. Since then, I haven't heard anything.

<Mc3cats> Great! We have two east side of the state members on the committee. Then we have Jim, Deb and myself. That gives us 5 committee members. I think thats all we need.

<Terrible_Ts> @TeamPAST I have added you to the bylaws committee

<Winos_Seattle> I'm feeling a bit left out

<TeamPAST> @Terrible_Ts Thank you

<Mc3cats> Ah, yes, Antoine. I completely forgot that.

<Winos_Seattle> You guys are doing so much. There's 5 different hats on most of you and I'm sitting over here wondering what role I play?

<Mc3cats> Antoine I will add you as well.

<Mc3cats> You just need to be on slack. Thats how we meet and discuss. Jim, can you add a recap of what bylaws we discussed and voted on for the new committee members to see?

<Terrible_Ts> @Winos_Seattle I have also added you to the committee

<Terrible_Ts> He is on slack. I think everybody is now.

<Mc3cats> My plan is to have a formal vote at the next board meeting (in July) ALL of the bylaws that had any changes. Before then, I will do both a general slack announcement and throw out a email about the changes BEFORE the meeting in July so that we all can review and be ready to discuss at the July Meeting

Item: Open Board Member Comment

<Mc3cats> The floor is open, board members. Anything you want to mention? Comments? issues? concerns? Good things we are doing? Positive or negative comments your are hearing out in your chapters?

<Mc3cats> Antoine, you have the floor.

<Winos_Seattle> I'm sorry for this very spuratic few months for the WSGA PS Chapter. Nikki and I have been desperately trying to have a baby and the efforts going through those stages have been stressful and time consuming

<Bluecanoe> im loving how many people are taking advantage of the OP Geotour. If you guys haven't done it, I strongly suggest it

<Mc3cats> Antoine, you really have been doing a wonderful job in the PS Chapter.

<deb> @winos_seattle hope all is going well

<Winos_Seattle> But, we've finally gotten to a somewhat stable stage and I'm back at it creating events for my chapter members.

<Peach> I haven't had time to do the 2nd one yet but definitelwill. Just been a bit preoccupied lately!!!!

<deb> and @winos_seattle you have been rocking it

<Bluecanoe> And com'mon! All you guys are doing is beating the odds to create a living winette

<Mc3cats> Picking up so late in the year with Robs departure and still putting on the holiday party with little to no time to prepare for it. This has been great.

<deb> @bluecanoe it is an amazing geotour, did them together
<Winos_Seattle> ahha thats funny
<Mc3cats> Erin, the OP GeoTour has been a blast to do. I have not fully completed it but I do need to make yet another trip over to Port A to finish it off. It has been a fun tour to do.
<Bluecanoe> It was the best I could come up with. If you guys just need a weekend away, mi casa, su casa
<Winos_Seattle> We had the event at Fremont Brewery this past monday. drew 20 cachers and a dozen WSGA members
<Mc3cats> Antoine, I so wanted to attend, but just couldnt make that event. Even Ms. Jenn was trying to encourage me to attend. It just didnt work out for me.
<Terrible_Ts> I had a question.
<Mc3cats> Yes Jim?
<Winos_Seattle> The Summer picnic event page will go up this weekend. I may need a bit of help with the design before I launch it.
<Peach> Maybe a little Tammy Winette geocacher, huh?
<Mc3cats> Antoine, let me know what you need and I will help you.
<Mc3cats> Nice, Annette!

Item: Treasurer Board Position.

<Terrible_Ts> Has anyone found a someone to take over as Treasurer?
<Mc3cats> Jim, glad you asked!
<Mc3cats> Deb?
<deb> yes @mc3cats
<deb> so everyone @terrible_Ts so glad you asked
<deb> I have really enjoyed taking on both the VP and the Treasurer positions these last couple months
<deb> I can tell you that what I have learned some things really need to move back to the VP that the previous Treasurer was doing (and a fine job she did do)
<deb> is I would like to stay as the Treasurer and have a search for a new VP
<Peach> Hear!! Hear!!!
<Terrible_Ts> Sounds good to me.
<Mc3cats> I would agree!
<Martin5> Did Jesse have interest in VP at one point?
<Mc3cats> So, Deb, are you seriously considering the change to the role of Treasurer?
<deb> yes
<Mc3cats> Ok. Well, board members, we have an issue to address!
<Winos_Seattle> I'm waiting on rambudo to drop in from the ceiling
<Mc3cats> Its comment period time. What do you all think of Deb changing her role to Treasurer?
<Terrible_Ts> I think its great.
* Bluecanoe (aed8113c@cloak-4309CB8E.sub-174-216-17.myvzw.com) has joined
<Mc3cats> She is definitely qualified to do the job
<Martin5> She talked with me about this idea while we were caching in Spokane last week. I support the idea.
<Mc3cats> Whatcha ll think?
<Mc3cats> all think?
<Winos_Seattle> I'm love that idea. I'm confident in her abilities. I love her enthusiasm. I agree with her role as treasurer in training someone to take over VP.

<Terrible_Ts> see my comment above.
<Winos_Seattle> I'm in support
<Mc3cats> Patrick?
<TeamPAST> Its more difficult to find a Treasurer then most any other position. And to have someone that can fill the position is certainly a plus. I think it would be best for her to move positions and backfill the VP spot.
<Mc3cats> Any other comments? Gene? Erin?
<Gene> If no one does it I move to have Deb serve as treasurer,,second anyone
<TeamPAST> Second
<Gene> sorry for fat fingers
<Mc3cats> All in favor?
<Mc3cats> Deb, you don't vote
<Winos_Seattle> aye
<Martin5> Aye
<TheSuperKnotts> aye
<Terrible_Ts> aye
<deb> i know lol
<Gene> yes \

<Mc3cats> Jim, that's two votes? (cliff)
<Terrible_Ts> Aye
<TeamPAST> Aye
<Bluecanoe> Eye
<Mc3cats> I count 8 Ayes. The Ayes have it. and two no votes (Deb and me)
<Mc3cats> Ok. Deb, you are our new Treasurer!
<Terrible_Ts> Not NO, you abstained.
<Mc3cats> Right
<deb> we abstain Chris we didn't vote no :)
<deb> as Jim says
<deb> thank you everyone
<Mc3cats> Correct, Jim.

Item: Meeting adjourned at 21:44

Summary of Reports for 15 May 2019

Financial Report by squirrel50

First I would like to say that this has been a crazy last few weeks. Since April 1st and my meeting with Chandra I have had to do a lot of work to learn her process and figure out what flows for me so please bear with me everyone.

The amount of WSGA “gear & past records” that we have as an organization is over whelming and we should not impose this on any member that holds an elected position or an appointed one. So I had an

some stuff that I wanted to put in storage of my own, and in turn had space for some of the camp out gear many of the past records of the treasurer (these should be kept in one spot not handed around and around) also there was gear for the VP as well, and some of this is there as well. For peace of mind there are 3 keys to this location and the President / Secretary each have one as well with access codes so there is always access and it in turn not only is all stuff in one location, but no one has there personal space in their homes or garage taken up.

Now merchandise is another story, this must remain with the merch manager as they are responsible for all of the inventory that the organization owns and this is one of many sources of income for the organization.

The WSGA took in so far for the Valley Cities GeoTour \$2,500 and they have distributed out all but \$50 of it so far and there is more coming in from I believe Renton & another check from the Port of Seattle. Auburn paid for most of the coin with the Port of Seattle paying a portion of it as well.

The ape so far since the last meeting has spent an additional \$330 – to the Snag The Tag folks for what they do behind the scenes. The tag for the hunt is in the works and I am just waiting on the price to get it paid for.

Membership renewal was tested out at a couple events with having the renewal process or new sign done on site. In the SW we got 2 renewals at the Passing the Torch event and we got 6 renewals and 2 new memberships at the Hands Across the Boarder event up north with our folks in Canada.

After reviewing the numbers for the Ape and what we are putting together and looking at some of the past numbers I see at this time where we are looking at \$2,000 to \$2,500 over the budgeted amount of \$7,000. We are trying to move some of the past Ape Gear with some Retro swag bags – and they are currently listed.

We had some recurring expenses that were not being utilized and I have since stopped those so we do not have to keep paying those out.

Social Media

Report by jtcoffee

WSGA Social Media Report

May 2019

Facebook

See the graphic below:

rents
















































Notifications 19

Insights

Publishing T...

More ▾

Setting

05/09/2019 9:08 PM		New for this year: Vintage Ape Swag packages! As we celebrate 10 years			2.2K 	326 72 
05/06/2019 10:30 PM		Check out the first round of Going Ape X Swag from Red Hat! Hats,			788 	56 19 
04/28/2019 5:05 PM		Who is ready to #spottheape2019? Preparations are underway for a			1.1K 	95 73 
04/16/2019 10:12 AM		Celebrate Smokey Bear's 75th birthday with this new trackable -			895 	102 27 
04/08/2019 9:33 PM		Tip of the week: start planning your summer #geocachingroadtrip! What			850 	59 19 
04/01/2019 9:07 PM		It's a week into #cachecarnival! How are you doing so far on the			890 	56 19 
03/25/2019 10:00 PM		Hey, members! Would you like to have more choices to purchase or			1.1K 	175 45 
03/21/2019 10:03 AM		We have two new items for sale on our store site. We have a limited			773 	45 11 
03/20/2019 6:32 AM		Happy Spring! Members can join us tonight at for our digital board			502 	13 17 
03/18/2019 10:12 PM		Tip of the week: gear up for some souvenirs! Plan your cache runs			749 	46 15 

I am currently doing a tip of the week on Mondays and news or photo if available on the weekend. Currently 2115 likes, up from 2,045. Last year at this time we had 1895.

Twitter

- Most popular tweets are connected to our facebook feed, posts of pictures with cachers, and posts during US Geocaching Hour.
- Currently at 177 followers, up from 174. Last year at this time we had 146.

Tweet activity

Mar 20 – May 12, 2019

Your Tweets earned **3.9K impressions** over this **54 day** period



Instagram

- Currently 305 followers, up from 289. At this time last year we had 160 followers.

Ape Updates by jtcoffee

Ape Event Updates:

Permitting/Insurance: Done

Vendors/Tables: As for merch tables, there will be a WSGA merch table as there has been in past years, and I have extended offers to others. There is a fee to the state parks associated, so they are considering it.

Other tables include Cachly, Caching in the Northwest, and a cache container camo table with WatchDogsMike. I have a few more in the works.

Lab Caches: I have asked Cliff to take on making the lab caches, and he has a great outline for what they will look like. As part of the event, we have 'two lab credits' with ten lab caches each, so he'll be putting out 20 possible labs. The plan at this point is to have the first 10 be published much ahead of time and be available after, as a way to explore the trailheads and natural features of the area. The other 10 will be at the event, highlighting the event itself and the history.

Now that lab caches are app-based, everything will be video-based. Cliff will be making these and reaching out to people to be in them – please help him out!

Volunteers: I have garnered many volunteers, but still looking for more! If you have not RSVP'd for a task that day, please let me know what you'd like to do, or if it doesn't matter to you, I'll let you know where you can help! If you hear of someone who would like to engage, or someone who says the Ape Event is a been-there-done-that type of thing, offer volunteering – it's a great day to do the event from a different angle 🙌

Day-Of Event: HQ has modified the rules for Megas that now one small event may be held the day of a Mega event by the same host, with no proximity rules. I have asked Antoine to host a breakfast event at the Summit Lodge, as hosted by the PS Chapter. This event will be posted soon, and should be a really fun way to start the day!

Swag: Chris, Deb and I are working on the coin and the swag. We will get those online as soon as humanly possible.

Podcasts: I was interviewed on Geocache Talk for SnagtheTag stuff and I gave some sneak-peek info about how we're going to do Spot the Ape this year. I am scheduled to be on Caching in the Northwest on June 20th to talk about Spot the Ape, and to give some more event details.

Outreach

No report submitted.

Merchandise

Report by mc3cats

MERCHANDISE REPORT FOR 5/15/19 MEETING

Total net sales for merchandise for the month of April was \$441. So far for the Month of May, we have a net sales of \$0 in merchandise.

As our inventory goes, we still have quite a bit of 2018 Ape event stock. We already have two retro merchandise Ape packages up on our website to hopefully move some product. As for our non-ape coins and tags, here is our inventory as of 5/14/19:

<u>ITEM</u>	<u>AMOUNT</u>
2018 COIN	31
2017 COIN	50
2016 COIN	2
CACHKINZ	4

We sold out of all of the 2018 campout tags, all of the 2017 Ape coins and tags.

We need to turn our attention to the 2019 coin. We have our design, we need a budget.

Vice Presidents Report by squirrel50

From Mid March to the end of April

There has been 7 on-line renewals

There has been 2 renewals at an Event in the SW Chapter during the changing of the Reps

There was 6 renewals and 2 new members at the Hand Over the Boarder Event in April

There has been an update to the badges

And I am currently working on a news letter that I can post online on a quarterly time frame.

Thank you for your email

WSGA Vice President

I just want to point out that when running the membership numbers, while it is a great idea to go out to events and help with renewals and such and it works, the back end work, once figured out takes little to no time

Where it is still broken is when I go into our website and sign in as either the treasurer or the vp and I can not see those that I adjusted manually for their membership that they renewed at the events, so now the numbers are skewed, and do not show up when you pull an All / Premium / Basic unless I search for them manually, which I should not have to do

I should be able to run a premium and a basic membership report and get all members that are current and paid.

Thank you for your email

WSGA Vice President

Chapter Reports

48 North Chapter Report by crs89

WSGA 48 North Chapter Report

For meeting of May 15, 2019

Chapter Activities

[WSGA 48 North CITO at Deception Pass State Park](#) (GC84R6F) held on April 7th with 15 attended logs. The 19 adults and 4 children at the event worked with AmeriCorps volunteers who represented the Deception Pass State Park to remove invasive European dune grass from the west beach area. We removed three one-ton dump truck loads full of the grass from the area and got a lot of positive feedback from the park staff.

[Hands Across The Border](#) (GC837PT) held on April 20th with 63 attended logs. This event was co-sponsored by the WSGA and BCGA. While it wasn't technically sponsored by the 48 North chapter, it was held within our chapter's boundaries and was a significant event for our membership so I'm listing it here for completeness.

Upcoming Chapter Events

Nothing currently is scheduled.

I'm working on scheduling a paddle caching event as a summer activity. I have a lead on a company that will supply kayaks for rent at the event but need to figure out what the best spot for this type of an event might be. Possibilities include Lake Ballinger, the Everett Sloughs, and Chain Lake. Stay tuned. Again, this isn't scheduled, but it's likely that we'll have a Fall CITO event at a state park in Whatcom county.

Upcoming Local Area Events

- [Italian dinner](#) by FaiRwoodWest (May 25th)
- CITO: [Oak Harbor Parks - Koetje Park](#) by Team RAC (May 25th)
- [Meet and Greet at Causland Park](#) by NeWa (June 1st)
- [Saying Goodbye to Guemes High](#) by Crouchcrew (June 1st)
- CITO: [Oak Harbor Parks – Neil Park](#) by Team RAC (June 23rd)

Cache-Cadian Chapter Report by Mr. Gadget #2

Cache-cadian report for the WSGA May 15, 2019 board meeting

There has not been much going on in the chapter for the past few months. Only one event has been published in the Chelan area as some outsiders are visiting and holding an event. (GC871R7 “Meet At The Mountains”)

I have been requested to do a presentation on geocaching for the Washington State Good Sams group. This will be on June 8th, 2019 and will be at the Grant County Fair Grounds. There may be a possibility I may also publish a regular Cache event at the same time. If so I think this would be an excellent opportunity for the geocaching community be able to share some of their experiences with the Good Sam attendees.

On a more personal note, I would like to share that Koko Blakeslee of the Barnabirdy(s) is now at home recovering from having a hip replacement surgery. The surgery was on May 7th and this amazing 84 year young lady was able to go home the following day. Let's do the right thing and send her well wishes for a speedy recovery.

I have not been able to devote all of the time I should towards caching activities. I am still at least a month away from being able to move back into my house after the fire last November. I think that will quickly change once that is all behind me. Thank you for everyone being so patient over the past six months.

Gene

Inland Empire Chapter Report

Inland Empire Chapter Report
May 10, 2018
by Jerry Martin (Martin 5)

Past Chapter Events:

03/30/2019
Creation Celebration: Story Time
GC84NA5
24 Attendees

05/04/2019
MAY THE FOURTH BE WITH YOU ~ Episode II
GC83WVB
16 Attendees

Upcoming Chapter Events:

None scheduled at this point in time, although I would like to host an event during one of Squirrel50's trips to our area.

Upcoming Area Events:

05/19/2019
FUN: Cachewood Squares
GC86DV9 by Cache.Advance
Airway Heights

06/22/2019
WWFM XVI FLASH MOB
GC87GM8 by Mr & Mrs Parts
Post Falls

06/22/2019
Wrong Way Meanie 1st Anniversary BBQ
GC84ABP by Blue Meanie and WrongWayMommy
Rathdrum

07/06/2019
FUN: SpoCache Challenge Launch
GC82WVX by Cache.Advance
Spokane

Chapter News:

The Fantastic Unbelievable Nonsense (FUN) SpoCache Geocoin Challenge, where everything is made up and the points don't matter, has a kickoff event scheduled for Saturday, July 6, 2019.

South Central Chapter Report By Patrick McColley (TeamPAST)

South Central Chapter Report

May 2019

By Patrick McColley (TeamPAST)

Past Chapter Events

GC85VX5 - WSGA South Central Sacajawea State Park CITO – 4/20/19

This annual CITO was held at the state park in cooperation with the Friends of Sacajawea. We had 10 cachers in attendance that spent the morning cleaning the park.

Future Chapter Events

GC87WN6 – Free State Park Day – 6/1/19

This is an annual event that coincides with the Geocaching outreach at the State Park Old Fashioned Days.

Area Events by a WSGA member

SC Chapter News

Saturday June 1st we will have a booth setup at the state parks old fashioned days to introduce new people to geocaching. This is an annual event that we have been invited back to again.

Puget Sound Chapter Report by Winos_Seattle

No report submitted.

Olympic Penninsula Chapter Report by blue canoe

No report submitted.

South West Chapter Report by SuperKnots



- **SOUTHWEST CHAPTER REPORT**

May 12, 2019

Since officially taking over as the WSGA SW chapter reps we have had 3 events. Creation Celebration on April 7, 2019 at Pacific Community Park. CITO season 1 on April 27, 2019 at Leverich Park. We also had a Geocaching Birthday event with GeOregon at the Original Stash Plaque on May 3, 2019. Below we will break down each event.

Our Creation Celebration had a great turnout. GeocacheAlaska.org donated 2 geocoins and 10 pathtags to the event and were raffled off. We set up the event so that all the attendees received the souvenir from Geocaching HQ.

CITO (season 1), we had good turnout for this event. We set this up with a volunteer from Americorps who also works with the Vancouver parks. They supplied buckets, bags and pickers. We kicked off the event with Krispy Kreme doughnuts and ended with a raffle. We purchased CITO swag from Geocaching HQ and used chapter funds to be reimbursed. The receipt was emailed to the Treasurer. Chapter member ThrYar! donated a CITO tag and a Geocaching phone holder to raffle off. Attendees also were able to get the CITO season 1 souvenir.

Happy Birthday Geocaching! We decided to throw a 19th birthday party for Geocaching at the Original Stash Plaque. We were there from 4-7 pm for visitors to stop and visit. We had cupcakes, and props to take a picture with at the plaque. We asked GeOregon if they wanted to be involved and they were happy to be. We had no raffle at this event. We would have liked to have seen a better turnout for this event. There was some hesitation from some Geocachers because of parking concerns, but once there we realized we could actually fit more vehicles there.

We are waiting to finalize a June meet and greet that we are planning to have in Longview, WA at Sacajawea Park, there we will announce our summer picnic. GeOregon has reached out to us to possibly make next years Birthday event a bigger affair , maybe even a Mega .After the summer picnics are through we will revisit idea. Were hoping the timber company that owns the land will open the field above the plaque for parking. There are a lot of old caches there and the surrounding areas. We are thinking of getting a coin made to commemorate this event we think it would be great and help draw more people.

The SuperKnotts - Brian and Vickie

Summary

I am still working to try to contact not only the previously named Parks Departments, but will make it a goal for my Parks Liaison position that I contact as many Parks Departments as possible to see if they are interested in learning more about how WSGA supports good placements in parks that align with their general parks rules and procedures. This will take a while, but the beauty of it is that we are not on a specific time table to accomplish this task.

If you have ideas for the Parks Liaison area of WSGA, I'd be happy to talk to you about them. Just drop me a note through the Messaging section on Geocaching.com to Peach&Pete, or send me a note to annettepbailles@aol.com.

Looking forward to how we can continue to help serve the WSGA in the coming year.

Annette Bailes (Peach&Pete)
WSGA Parks Liaison

Campout Director Reports by Peaches (of Peaches&Pete)

The year 2019 has definitely been a year where I seem to have bitten off more than I can chew, as I was only able to do a bit of research on a possible campout for 2019, but still was so heavily involved in launching another project that I could not devote any specific time to the Campout until I am past the launch date of May 18, 2019.

I did contact one State Park (Sun Lakes Dry Falls), and they had space back in a circle area (not a group camp area, but we believe it is the same area we used several years ago for the summer campout), but I did not have the funds to reserve the space, and could not obligate the WSGA without doing much more work than I had time to do. Not sure if that space is still available, but I will check on it. I would also like to check with a private campground and another State Park more on the west side to see if they have any space available later in the summer, but as stated before, these reservations NEED to be made around the first of the year when space opens up for the entire year, and specifically the summer. So, we might still be able to pull off a Campout, but at this point, I cannot make any promises that I will be able to find adequate space. I will try to do so, and that is all I can do at this point.

We could possibly do a joint campout/Ape Event for 2020 if we again hold the Ape Event, but we would need to secure campground space in January when space is first released for reservations. I can work on this for 2020, but I regret that we are unable to secure space for 2019 that meets the criteria I was asked to find.

For the 2020 WSGA Summer Campout, I would like to find out a **definitive date and location before the end of 2019** so I can begin to do location research, work with the Chapter that will be the Host and secure a Campout Manager, and begin to work with them. That will help us succeed in planning a 2020 Summer Campout. To have a highly successful event in 2020, it is imperative that we start well in advance like was the custom for so many years when we had successful Summer Campouts.

Annette Bailes (Peach&Pete)

Winning Coin Design

