

Board Meeting Minutes for 17 Jul 2019

Meeting called to order 18:30

Attendees:

mc3cats, Chris Brue, President. Merchandise Mgr
jtcoffee, Jessie Maxwell, Vice President

Terrible Ts, Jim Tollefson, Secretary

crs98, Cliff Slaughterback, NEW 48 North Chaper Rep
Mr. Gadget #2, Gene Reed, Cache-cadians Chapter Rep
Winos_Seattle, Antoine Pin, Puget Sound Chapter Rep
Martin_5, Jerry Martin, IE Chapter Rep
bluecanoe, Erin Comstock, Olympic Penn Chapter Rep
TeamPAST, Patrick McColley, South Central Chapter Rep
SuperKnotts, Brian and Vickie Knott, SW Chapter Rep

PeachesandPete, Annette Bailes, Parks Liaison, Campout

Absent:

squirrel50, Deb Cox, Treasurer
NepoKama, Mitch Eatough, Webmaster

Proxies:

Martin 5 has Squirrel50 proxy

Visitors:

rambudo
Unicorn

Item: May meeting minutes approved

Item: Treasures Report

<Mc3cats> Any comments on Deb's report?

<TeamPAST> I have a question

<Mc3cats> Patrick you have the floor.

<TeamPAST> The report states we will be low on funds after paying for the ape coins and inserts, are those costs not covered by the funds collected from the hider packets?

<Mc3cats> The cost point on the tags was set so that we would cover the costs of the tags and associated fees that goes with using the Snag the tag site with an additional amount to cover the cost of the ape coin and a slight bump for a small profit margin.

<TeamPAST> So we should actually see an increase in funds and not be low on funds?

<Mc3cats> Keep in mind, the 10year ape coin is one of the more elaborate and therefore expensive coins we have minted. A good chunk of the ape tags sales will be to help fund those coins along with the presales of the ape packages.

<Mc3cats> True. Deb is estimating what she thinks our funds will be. Of course thats always an estimation.

<TeamPAST> I was missing the extra production outside of the snag coins. Thats what used the extra funds and should be restored after packet sales and event sales.

<SuperKnotts> one quick question from us . We have 19 members and that has went up since we started , we know deb was working on a member list , is there a tentative date when we can expect those?

<Mc3cats> Brian/Vickie, I can ask Deb about that. Jim, by chance are you assisting Debwith any of the membership reports?

<Terrible_Ts> She hasn't asked me to help. I willing to though.

<SuperKnotts> ok it would help to know who our members are

<Mc3cats> Ok. Brian/Vickie, I will connect with Deb on that.

<SuperKnotts> thank you , that was it

Item:Membership Report

<Mc3cats> One rather unexpected result of the ape tags....

<TeamPAST> You can view people in your chapter on the website. But you need to click each member to see if they are premium basic etc.

<Mc3cats> was that membership shot up! By making the tags available only to members that prompted folks to renew so that they can buy the tags.

<Mc3cats> I am thinking going forward we do that every year! Just another perk for being a WSGA member.

<Terrible_Ts> We also had a few out-of-town people sign up.

<Mc3cats> Right! Yet another perk, not only renewals but new memberships. I beleive we had someone from Australia sign up!

<Terrible_Ts> Yes, and Germany, new york and a couple from canada

<crs98> I think that's a good idea. You could also offer discounts on merchandise to anyone who was a WSGA member. Everything (not just being able to buy the tags).

<jtcoffee> I love that!

<Mc3cats> Anyway, having the Ape tags for WSGA current members was a brilliant idea and is definitely something we should do going forward.

<Unicorn> sounds like there needs to be an extra chapter just for those out of state and internationally

<Peach> At-Large Membership

<Bluecanoe> That's a great idea

Item: Spot the Ape tags

<Mc3cats> Anyway, having the Ape tags for WSGA current members was a brilliant idea and is definitely something we should do going forward.

<Unicorn> sounds like there needs to be an extra chapter just for those out of state and internationally

<Peach> At-Large Membership

<Bluecanoe> That's a great idea

<Mc3cats> Cliff, that is something that I have been toying with. I think using the members store where the ape tags were sold could be a good use of that section of our retail store.

<SuperKnotts> We have heard people a little dissapointed in the amount of tags in the hider packs compared to other packs

<jtcoffee> @superknotts understandable. it was a numbers game -- fewer people hide more, or more people hide fewer per.

<SuperKnotts> Yeah we explained it a bit but it did stop them from participating

<jtcoffee> We decided to have the opportunity open to more folks, and therefore have fewer tags per each hider to hide. The game still has the same total amount of tags.

<Terrible_Ts> Did we sell out of the hider packages.

<Mc3cats> @Jtcoffee, I do believe there was an additional fee/cost to the Spot that Ape this year as well.

<rambudo> I think that once people see the full coin, they will understand the price. BTW, any word on when we will be able to see the full coin?

<crs98> While I think this is a great discussion for most of the future, we should not completely lock ourselves into this for next year. If the event does actually go giga, we're going to have to change the scale of our thinking.

<Unicorn> and this is the first year of selling the packs which equated to roughly the price per coin

<Mc3cats> @TerribleTs, yes completely sold out right around the time the Spot the Ape tag game started.

<Terrible_Ts> Very cool.

<SuperKnotts> Would like to see wsga members get a heads up before they go on sale

<jtcoffee> @crs98 agree - next year is a whole different ball of wax for sure.

<Mc3cats> @unicorn, exactly. We had to associate the tags with the cost of the coins. Basically for every tag, there is an coin that goes with the tag.

Item: Chapter Reports

<Mc3cats> You reps had some fantastic reports!

<Mc3cats> Love to see stuff going on out there.

<Mc3cats> Patrick you had the awesome Tricities coin challenge! Man that coin is UNBELIEVABLE!

<Mc3cats> Jerry, you have that new Spokane challenge going out there. Sounds like FUN!

<TeamPAST> Yes we are very proud of that coin. There is only 1 left.

<Mc3cats> Cliff, the float event you are putting on. I love the fact that you are looking to have kayaks to rent!

<crs98> I had a really great time doing the Tri-Cities event this year. The coin was a bonus, but just hanging out with a bunch of crazy geocachers for a long weekend was the best part.

<Terrible_Ts> I had a blast too.

<Mc3cats> @crs98 that ALWAYS the best part. The coin is an extra added bonus!

<crs98> If the event goes well, I would like to propose that we do a cross-chapter paddle caching event with Puget Sound. There should be a lot of interest.

<Mc3cats> @TeamPAST, you guys will have a tough time coming up with a coin that will top this year's coin.

<Mc3cats> @crs98 Having paddle events and allowing vendors to rent kayaks will help get folks interested in trying out paddling. Thats something I would like to do some time.
<Mc3cats> some time.
<Terrible_Ts> There are a few new paddle caches around here.
<crs98> There will be a few more on September 7th.
<Mc3cats> Anyway, thanks to all of the reps for working hard putting on events for members and non members alike to participate in.
<Terrible_Ts> Kent/Renton area

Item: Parks Liaison and Outreach

<TeamPAST> Are we not going to have a campout this year? I did have a member ask at our event.
<Mc3cats> No campout this year.
<TeamPAST> Okay I will pass on the news.

Item: Merchandise Report

<Mc3cats> The only thing I will add to that is that I have emailed all of your an advance peek at the 2019 member coin
<Mc3cats> Under the "new business" section of the agenda, we will further discuss this but I want you all to have a peek at it and we can discuss the coin further
<Mc3cats> later on in the program.
<Bluecanoe> Is there a reason why we haven't made up new shirts in so long?
<Mc3cats> Yes there is! We have moved away from carrying WSGA shirts in our inventory. Why? Because it takes YEARS for us to recoup the costs for the shirts in sales of these items....
<Bluecanoe> Dang
<Unicorn> Is there any reason as to why we dont just move that model fully over to red hat?
<SuperKnotts> No new pathtag this year ?
<Mc3cats> Case in point, we just sold out of the old green WSGA zippered hoodies. They have been around for a good 6 - 8 years. The last one sold earlier this year. Thats a long time to recoup our funds on these items.
<Mc3cats> Instead, the folks at Red Hat Imprints have a WSGA store within their website where you can purchase your very own WSGA shirt in any color you want. Monogrammed with your name or not with a tracking number or not.
<Mc3cats> We get a kick back from Red Hat on all WSGA sales from their website. Its a perfect way to give folks what they want and WE as an organization do not have to carry a large inventory of shirts, hats etc that will not sell completely out for years.
<jtcoffee> (@superknotts: the ape volunteers will receive a pathtag as a thanks for volunteering this year, as well as a shirt.)
<Mc3cats> Pathtags are a yes. Deb has been working on a new pathtag.
<crs98> A couple of thoughts about this - would it be possible to list them on our website, but redirect sales to red hat?
<Bluecanoe> What a great idea!
<Unicorn> Right but it sounds like we need to work harder to push that venue as there is no way to even know about the Red Hat except through word of mouth
<Unicorn> there should be links all over the websit
<SuperKnotts> Thank you

<crs98> Secondly, we should still periodically provide an updated design just to keep things fresh. Maybe the same logo, but something else to base the shirt around.

<Terrible_Ts> @jtcoffee Why not a coin like in the past?

<Mc3cats> The Red Hat connection needs to be explore more. I know its been mentioned in our social media posts. But yes, I agree that we need to somehow have a link from our website. Thats a question for our team of webmasters and I will add that to my to do list for them.

<jtcoffee> @terrible_Ts \$\$

<Bluecanoe> Also a good idea, is there an option to use a different TB if you have one you'd like to use already?

<jtcoffee> @bluecanoe yes - you can provide your own, or she'll get you a new one.

<Mc3cats> @crs98 & @ jtcoffee Thats sound that I can explore with Jenny at Red Hat Imprints. Its likely doable. We just need a design they can work with. Perhaps we can test this out with our 2019 coin design.

<Unicorn> for red hat currently no

<Terrible_Ts> @jtcoffee I think we may end up upsetting the volunteers and we will need even more next year.

<Mc3cats> A lot more!

<Unicorn> I agree @Terrible_Ts

<jtcoffee> @terrible_Ts I know. I agree. It's just all we could do.

<Terrible_Ts> Hopefully those volunteers didn't opt out of buying a coin since they thought they would get on for volunteering.

<jtcoffee> I am preparing an email this week to the volunteers I currently have with a photo of the pathtag so it will not be a surprise (at the event, at least)

<TeamPAST> Just be clear an up front with the volunteers on what they get and they shouldnt be upset.

<Terrible_Ts> Is it too late to purchase a coin?

<jtcoffee> Nope - you still have a week!

<jtcoffee> (that will be in the email, too :))

<Terrible_Ts> Ok. I still think we are making a mistake.

<Unicorn> Maybe there should be a discount code sent to the volunteers for a discounted swag bag to make up for all the stuff

<SuperKnotts> Just a week ? I feel like we need more notice for our members about things like this

Item: Social Media Report skipped

Item: Old business and Ape event

<jtcoffee> The packages have been live for a while. We usually cut off sales a month prior to the event

<SuperKnotts> feels like how snag the tag was

<Mc3cats> Crystal has a good idea about providing a discount to volunteers who what to purchase a coin.

<Unicorn> maybe it could even be a priced coin sale as well cause the swag bags so not priced to sell

<jtcoffee> Agree. @mc3cats you and i can talk off line on how to make that happen

<Unicorn> Where is the coin

<Unicorn> !!!!!

<Mc3cats> I was just going to comment on that

<Unicorn> it should be super sparkles by now
<Mc3cats> The coin should be in our hands around the beginning of August. JD and Lisa are saying we should have them around that time
<Mc3cats> This does not give us a lot of time to put the packages together.
<Unicorn> Is that for the coin or just the proof
<Mc3cats> But thats how things tend to roll with event related coins. We had a similar scenario last year as I recall.
<Mc3cats> Thats for the coin.
<Mc3cats> Deb has been keeping in constant contact with JD and Lisa on this. They are well aware of our deadline.
<rambudo> are we not getting a proof before hand? To make sure the coin works and take pictures to help sell them before the event?
<jtcoffee> For the group: if you know of anyone who would like to volunteer for the event, please put them in contact with me.
<jtcoffee> @rambudo Deb has been point on the coin with Compass Creek. She has not indicated that we won't be getting a proof, but I'll check with her
<Mc3cats> I have seen what the mold looks like. Its nothing pretty to see since its a grey mold. The important thing is that the detail in the mold is pretty good. I do think the final product will capture all of the detail and creativity that Crystal's art work has given us. It really should be one of the more intricate coins we have ever done.
<Mc3cats> I will follow up with Deb to get an update. I would love to see a picture of the first copy of the coin and will share that with the board.
<Unicorn> OOO if you could send me the mold pics that would be awesome
<Mc3cats> Crystal, the molds only really show the detail. Theres no color in the mold picture that we have. I can shoot a copy of the photos of
<Mc3cats> I hope everyone can attend the Ape event. Its our biggest event and really is the only time we get the entire board together at one location.
<Mc3cats> If you can swing it, please try to attend the ape event.
<bluecanoe> I just contacted jess about volunteering
<Mc3cats> Excellent! Yes, if you can volunteer, even better I know we can use the help. This fact will be two fold next year. More on that in a bit.
<bluecanoe> are we still in need for volunteers?
<bluecanoe> may I suggest a community shout out?
<jtcoffee> I can always make use of people's time if they'd like to give it :)
<jtcoffee> I've done one on Facebook and on the podcasts I've done - but I'll do another!
<bluecanoe> great idea

Item: Bylaws Committee

<Mc3cats> Moving on, the last of the old business is a reminder to those on the bylaws committee. We have fired up conversations in that slack channel for bylaws, so please sign in and contribute. We have a live item that under review right now.
<Mc3cats> Thats all I wanted to say on that topic.
<bluecanoe> once I get the hang of using both geo accounts simultaneously, ill post on the op account as well
<Mc3cats> @Martin5 if you need a new link, Jerry, please email me. Thanks

Item: New Business

Mc3cats> We have a potential new VP! This is someone you are all VERY familiar with. Someone who has been involved with the WSGA for quite a while and is someone who is in this chat right now!

<bluecanoe> drumroll

<Mc3cats> This person has been helping with our social medial presence and is YOUR current Ape Coordinator

<Unicorn> interesting

<rambudo> Wait, what happened to the old VP?

<Mc3cats> I think Jessie (jtcoffee) would make a great VP given her long time being involved with this organization volunteering holding more than one general member position.

<bluecanoe> although I am not apposed to that decision, she is pretty spectacular, but why not rumbodo?

<Mc3cats> To get you caught up, we did not have a treasurer.

<Mc3cats> Deb had a lot of prior experience running a business and doing account for that business.

<Mc3cats> She wanted to take on the treasurer position, which you will agree, is the most vital position in an organization.

<Mc3cats> So we voted in a previous meeting when she proposed that she run both positions until we found a VP .

<Mc3cats> The board agreed to her being in the dual positions for a short period of time until a VP could be found to back fill her VP position.

<Mc3cats> I believe the time frame was 4 months

<rambudo> I believe that was my motion. 4 months as managerial treasurer.

<Mc3cats> That time is about up. We need a full 11 member board. We have someone who has been involved with the WSGA for several years and is interested in stepping into the role as VP. Hence the topic is now up for discussion FOR BOARD MEMBERS ONLY. Russell, this topic is NOT open for your discussion since you do not hold a position on this board.

<rambudo> Has Deb stepped down as VP?

<rambudo> Has she been voted in as treasurer?

<Mc3cats> It was voted on the last meeting in May

<Mc3cats> So, I am opening the floor to BOARD MEMBERS ONLY for discussion for Jessie being considered as WSGA VP.

<Mc3cats> Great question @SuperKnotts

<SuperKnotts> especially for the upcoming 2020 year ?

<Mc3cats> Jessie???

<Mc3cats> @SuperKnotts lets hold off on Ape 2020 comments for late. One person will not be able to run next years ape event. This will be a group effort.

<jtcoffee> I have started doing some work towards the 2020 ape event, and will not be the only one working on it. An event of this magnitude needs a team, which I am really looking forward to building. As for the social media piece, that was a task originally allocated to the VP

<jtcoffee> (typing)

<jtcoffee> Jim has offered to take on, and has been, some of the membership pieces that belong to the VP position. I have been clear that i don't have a lot of capacity to take things on in the summer, so I can take those pieces back in the fall once Ape 2019 comes to a close.

<jtcoffee> Deb has also been keeping some of the membership pieces. We can reshuffle when the board is complete.

<SuperKnotts> thank you

<bluecanoe> so is this an open closed topic? Jessie is the new vp?

<bluecanoe> remember im new to the board and am seeking understanding

<Mc3cats> Erin, its open. We are discussing it, Then will call for a vote.

<SuperKnotts> we were just concerned the club has members with many hats and wondering if that hurts or helps things

<bluecanoe> why not have an open vote across the wsga? less of a monarchy

<crs98> @bluecanoe - I would imagine that would be the sort of thing addressed in the bylaws. I'm not familiar with what they actually state about this topic.

<bluecanoe> or ask for volunteers maybe? and again, this is nothing against Jessie

<Mc3cats> Erin, since we had a vacancy post elections, the position can be filled without going through a full membership vote. Now next year, all positions will be up for a vote of the membership. Chapt Reps will only be up for a vote with members in their respective chapter while executive committee members are on the ballot for ALL WSGA members.

<Terrible_Ts> @mc3cats Has Deb formally stepped down from the VP position?

<jtcoffee> @bluecanoe no offence taken :)

<bluecanoe> ok, thank you guys.

<Mc3cats> @crs98 yes this topic is in the bylaws.

<bluecanoe> I know I should go through the bi laws but because they are currently under review, im afraid to go through them at this point and then again once finalized and risk becoming confused old to new laws

<TeamPAST> You can look at Bylaw 9.7

<Mc3cats> @Terrible _T's yes we voted on her transition to Treasurer since Chandra left and the position was left open after the election. Deb wanted to slide over to treasure given her bookkeeping background. The board approved the transition. She said she would hold both the VP and Treasure on a temp basis until a replacement VP could be found.

<Mc3cats> Thank you@TeamPAST

<Terrible_Ts> Ok as I understand it, the VP position is currently open.

<bluecanoe> i think Deb is better suited for treasurer, i know its something she carries a good deal of passion for

<Mc3cats> Yes. We knew it would be easier to find a VP than a treasurer. Thankfully Deb has the accounting background and the will to be WSGA treasure.

<TeamPAST> 9.7 – If any elected position becomes vacant, the President shall solicit nominees and appoint a replacement for the remainder of the term, subject to these Bylaws and approval of a simple majority of the Board.

<Mc3cats> @bluecanoe the books were not as organized as they should have been. She has spent a ton of time fixing that issue.

<Mc3cats> @TeamPAST thank you for citing that bylaw.

<Mc3cats> We are definitely at that point right now, the simple majority part anyway.

At this point there were some harsh word between mc3cats and ranbudo. I am not going to summarize them

<TeamPAST> Move to vote on the VP position
<crs98> Second

<Mc3cats> Let the record show that we have 7 ayes, one abstain. The vote passes.
We have a new VP!

Item: WSGA 2019 Coin budget

<Mc3cats> Deb has set a budge of \$3800 for the cost of the coins.

<SuperKnotts> how many coins does that get us ?

<Mc3cats> Thats 400 coins with more than half going out to our premium members.

<Mc3cats> Thats total cost which includes tracking codes, the whole package.

<crs98> <\$10 per coin

<Mc3cats> Sounds about right, Cliff.

<Mc3cats> We tend to lose some money on our WSGA coin which is the subject of an upcoming topic. But the cost per coin is along the lines of what we typically spend on the member coin.

<bluecanoe> just real quick, why so many?

<Mc3cats> We always mint plenty of coins to cover what we expect our membership will be PLUS additional to sell on our website.

<Mc3cats> If you all are good with the numbers/amounts, is there a motion to approve the budget for the 2019 coin?

<crs98> Move to approve

<bluecanoe> i second

<Mc3cats> Great! Let the record show that we have 8 ayes, one abstain (me as always) and Gene and Antoine who are not present.

Item: The PO Box

<Mc3cats> With Chandra leaving as our previous Treasure, she was easily able to hit the PO Box in Issaquah (she lived in North Bend). With her departure, the Issaquah PO Box is not convenient to our current Treasure or anyone else on the executive committee

<Mc3cats> Hence its time to move our mailbox out of Issaquah to a location more convenient to executive committee members. Therefore, starting 8/1 our PO Box will be in Renton.

<Mc3cats> Our PO Box lease is up in Issaquah in August anyway, so the timing is right to move it.

<TeamPAST> I am sure you already know it will be important to have a forward for the old PO BOX but we also need to annouce the address change so members know not to use it. That also means costs for updating any paper stock or other items that have the address already on them.

<Mc3cats> If any of the resp have the old membership forms, starting 8/1 you will want to change the address to the new PO Box.

<Mc3cats> That address, BTW is P. O. Box 58542 Renton, WA 98058. Dont make any changes just yet.

<Mc3cats> We will be putting in a forwarding order at the PO in Issaquah so that anything that does come into the old POB finds its way to the new one.

<Mc3cats> Any questions on the move of the POB?

Item: Lab Adventure credit

<Mc3cats> I was able to negotiate another lab adventure credit with HQ.

<Mc3cats> This go around, the credit was applied to the IE Chapter

<Mc3cats> So Jerry gets to put together his chapter's very own Lab Adventure!

<Mc3cats> I am working on getting more for teh WSGA. In a perfect world, I would love one for each chapter

<Mc3cats> Stay tuned on that if I can snag a few more credits, I will be getting them assigned to other chapter's Geo accounts. Likely 48 North would be next then South Central. Again, a work in progress. Stay tuned...

Item: Testing of a new geocaching product

<Mc3cats> This is pretty exciting that we get to help HQ with this organization-leader board function

<Mc3cats> IF you have received an email from me, which all board members should have, please respond back ASAP as to whether or not U want to participate

<Mc3cats> I have a deadline with HQ to get a list of cacher names to them so that they can get things set up on their end

Mc3cats> This is kind of a big deal for us as to my knowledge, teh WSGA IS THE ONLY organization helping out with the testing of this product!

<Mc3cats> We have the opportunity to test something that other organization may be able to use.

<Mc3cats> The eventual idea is this "perk" will be open for premium members only. Hence the email has gone out to premium members. IF you are not one, let me know and I will add you to the testing list

<Mc3cats> Ok. I am going to shelve the last few topics as these are not earth shattering and need to be addressed immediately.

Meeting adjourned

Summary of Reports for 17 Jul 2019

Financial Report by squirrel50

See attached PDF files:

WSGA July 2019 Income and Expenses.pdf

June July 2019 Membership count.pdf

July Ape 2019 Update.pdf

July 2019 Chapter Allocations in out.pdf

Treasurer July 15th 2019 Report

This is going to be a long winded report.

First I want to start out with that the Spot the Ape tags did drive up membership – but not just membership as I noted in my VP Report – but users on our site as well. Cachers are finding us, while not everyone signs up as a member they are users on the page and are checking us out.

Treasurer July 15th 2019 Report (1) Treasurer July 15th 2019 Report (1) Jessie suggested that there be a way to monitor and track this – since we are in a change of our webmaster I haven't reached out yet.

Packet sales have slowed down – maybe another boost on the FB and Website with an announcement of sales are closing soon might help.

With the cost of the inserts / coin this year for Ape and the member coin we will have a VERY lean account after those two major expenses are paid – not saying gone but it will be low. I am hoping that with me being at Ape and running the merch table with Ape coins to sell and other supplies this will help as well and membership will be available there also.

We sold out of the Ape Hider Packets by the first part of July.

Treasurer July 15th 2019 Report (1) Recently I emailed every chapter with your allocations and your chapter numbers and list of members that I could pull from our website. Some folks couldn't understand how some names showed up twice or they were in the wrong chapter and such, I will explain to everyone I had to hand sort those and hand review them. There is no SORT function for chapter – I have asked for this but still waiting. And so I must review every city / zip code and sort them on my own. Also I pulled all old

members and new and sometimes if a member had an old style membership and now we only offer basic and premium this can make them show up twice and renewed and expired.

Our system should be able to send an email to a member reminding them that they are going to expire. It should also state that we do not offer auto renewal. There were several folks that have signed up at events or recently that didn't know they were expired as they thought they were on auto renewal.

Membership & Allocations reports are included in PDF

Income & Ape reports are included in PDF

I am proposing an increase in membership fees. Currently a Premium membership of \$25 a chapter get's \$8 leaving the Organization with \$17 and a Basic Membership of \$15 a chapter get's \$5 leaving the Organization with \$10

With the increase in postage – mailing the member coins & badges

With the increase in office Supplies to make the badges

With the increase in the cost of the coin mint and production

And the increase of other merchandise we carry as in pathtags and cachekinz's and other stuff we need to increase our membership by 1.50 to 2.00 by Jan 1st of 2020

Again all I am sorry my boss picked this week to come see us and I have meetings all day with him starting Tuesday night dinner all day Wednesday and dinner that night as well and breakfast Thursday morning.

Please skype me or email me with any questions you have and see you all in the caching field and at the next meeting. – Jerry has me covered

Social Media

Report by jtcoffee

WSGA Social Media Report

July 2019

Facebook

See the graphic below:

Published	Post	Type	Targeting	Reach ⁱ	Engagement	Promote
07/13/2019 6:15 AM	 A new Spot the APE 2019 Tag: 098 - Welcome to Priest Lake ID-57, Priest			475 	50 10 	Boost Post
07/13/2019 6:15 AM	 A new Spot the APE 2019 Tag: 042 - Holland Creek Trail Head Dogwood			312 	12 3 	Boost Post
07/13/2019 6:15 AM	 A new Spot the APE 2019 Tag: 072 - Looking for a new friend! Lervick Ave,			344 	13 5 	Boost Post
07/12/2019 6:15 AM	 A new Spot the APE 2019 Tag: 050 - Gig Harbor Cemetery Drummond Dr			434 	34 7 	Boost Post
07/12/2019 6:15 AM	 A new Spot the APE 2019 Tag: 063 - Clark Lake Monkey Business SE			360 	16 5 	Boost Post
07/11/2019 6:15 AM	 A new Spot the APE 2019 Tag: 041 - Spot the Ape in Langford Ed Nixon			369 	21 4 	Boost Post
07/11/2019 6:15 AM	 A new Spot the APE 2019 Tag: 024 - Ape Stops to Smell the Flowers S			668 	62 28 	Boost Post
07/10/2019 6:15 AM	 A new Spot the APE 2019 Tag: 026 - Yashiro Japanese Garden - Olympia,			392 	16 7 	Boost Post
07/10/2019 6:15 AM	 A new Spot the APE 2019 Tag: 027 - Sgt. Justin Norton - Rainier, WA			576 	52 9 	Boost Post

All Ape tags, all the time!

Currently 2285 likes, up from 2,115 last report. Last year at this time we had 1967.

Twitter

- Most popular tweets are connected to our facebook feed, posts of pictures with cachers, and posts during US Geocaching Hour.
- Currently at 179 followers, up from 177.
- I have linked all of the Chapter's facebook page to the main WSGA twitter account, so whatever is posted on the chapter pages is also tweeted out.
- None of the Spot the Ape tweets are posting on Twitter – I see what I can do about that.

Instagram

- Currently 327 followers, up from 305 last report. At this time last year we had 160 followers.

APE Updates

- Volunteers are still welcome to sign up. I have a bunch of things they can still do, so please let me know if you've spoken to anyone interested!
- Spot the Ape is going well. People are excited about finding the tags as well as hiding them! Spot the Ape hider packets are the most popular thing the WSGA store has ever sold.
- Swag sales: see Merch report.
- Coins: See Deb's report
- *2020: still awaiting response from the ranger to discuss location and Hyak's capacity.*

Outreach

Report by squirrel50

WSGA July 2019 Meeting Reports

I will not be attending this meeting as I am having a meeting with my boss over dinner about my job. Jerry (Martin5) has my proxy.

Outreach: No new info to report here – we have been trying to coordinate for a big event out in Enumclaw but unable to keep communications going and the event is the last weekend of July into Aug running a Thursday to Sunday

Merchandise

Report by mc3cats

MERCHANDISE REPORT FOR 7/17/19 MEETING

Total net sales for merchandise for the month of June 2019 was a whopping \$3,419.00! The majority of the sales were from the sales of the Spot The Ape tags with additional sales for the Ape packages. So far for the Month of July, we had \$614.50 in total merchandise sales. Same as for the month of June, the majority of sales were for the last of the Spot the Ape tag sets and a few of the Ape packages. A banner couple of months with total merchandise sales over 4K!

As our inventory goes, we still have quite a bit of 2018 Ape event stock. We already have two retro merchandise Ape packages up on our website to hopefully move some product. As for our non-ape coins and tags, here is our inventory as of 5/14/19:

<u>ITEM</u>	<u>AMOUNT</u>
2018 COIN	27
2017 COIN	43
2016 COIN	Sold Out
CACHKINZ	Sold Out

We sold out of all of the 2016 coin as well as the WSGA Cachkinz tag. On the plus side, a former WSGA board member found some old WSGA stuff in his garage and inside the box we found some of

the mini WSGA pens, carabiners, lanyards and some dancing ape cachkinz. I have put some of these items up on our store site to move out.

The 2019 coin is moving forward, We will be discussing the vote on the budget for the 2019 coin.

Vice Presidents Report by squirrel50

Vice President: I had a little face time with Jessie recently and pointed out that I noticed that while premium membership is up and renewal is up and so is basic – but more premium than basic. But what really is up but not members is just users that sign up on our account – so they are registering on our site, and we need to find a way to reach out to these folks – even though they are not members and maybe send some type of welcome and thanks for being a registered user – here are some things we have to offer: chapter events / organization events / premium vs basic – what do you get / what all do we do over all / where do your \$\$ go. And if we could find a way to track this that would be outstanding.

The counts for membership will show up in the Treasurer report.

Chapter Reports

48 North Chapter Report by crs89

WSGA 48 North Chapter Report

For meeting of July 17, 2019

Chapter Activities

[WSGA 48 North Picnic Event](#) – this event was held as the lunch event in the middle of the Monroe Cache Machine. It was extremely well attended with 62 attended logs and probably 80 or more actual bodies that came through for a lunch pit stop. I got great feedback on the spread that I purchased for the event. Donations from cachers who attended covered more than half of the costs.

Upcoming Chapter Events

[WSGA 48 North Paddle Caching Event](#), scheduled for September 7th in Lake Ballinger. At the moment there are 12 Will Attends, though I expect this number to rise substantially as the time gets closer. I haven't yet really tried to push it on Facebook or to the membership but will do that after the Ape Event. I've arranged for [Kayakasha](#) to show up and provide rental kayaks to cachers who don't have access to their own watercraft. I have several yet-to-be-published hides that I expect to go live that morning for people to find.

This isn't scheduled yet, but it's likely that we'll have a Fall CITO event in concert with the HQ 2nd CITO season at a state park in Whatcom county.

Upcoming Local Area Events

- [An Engaging Engagement!](#) by Unicorn Pixie (July 19th)
- [It's Bigger on the Inside](#) by paisleykmt (July 21st)
- [Oak Harbor Parks – Tyhius Park](#) CITO by ebaden3 (July 27th)
- [It's all Greek to me](#) by Johnny Cache 79 (August 1st)
- [Turn Point Lighthouse – BYOB](#) by lamoracke (August 10th)
- [2019 San Juan Island Geocaching Adventure](#) by 1hugh (August 24th)
- [SMF or Bust](#) by Johnny Cache 79 (September 18th)
- [YYC or Bust](#) by Johnny Cache 79 (October 4th)

Other News

- I've been talking to the HQ team that is in charge of working on GeoTours (specifically gearguru). They are actively working to get at least one new geotour active in our chapter's boundaries before the 20th Anniversary Celebration event next year. It sounds like they are relatively close to getting something going with Snohomish County. I've volunteered to be the point person for the geocaching side of the geotour if they are able to get something done.

Cache-Cadian Chapter Report by Mr. Gadget #2

No report submitted.

Inland Empire Chapter Report

July 15, 2019

by Jerry Martin (Martin 5)

Past Chapter Events:

06/14/2019

Meet Squirrel50

GC88551

21 Attendees

Upcoming Chapter Events:

None scheduled at this point in time; however, we are looking at possibly hosting a Smokey Bear 75th Anniversary event with Mr & Mrs Parts in August.

Upcoming Area Events:

07/19/2019

Luxembourg Comes to Coeur d'Alene

GC8A1MY by Misdavinci

Coeur d'Alene

08/04/2019

Multi or not?

GC89JTA by GeoCrackers

Liberty Lake

08/06/2019

Bye Bye, Zwaai, Zwaai

GC8A9A1 by GeoCrackers and RoosterFrog

Airway Heights

Chapter News:

The Fantastic Unbelievable Nonsense (FUN) SpoCache Geocoin Challenge, "where everything is made up and the points do not matter," kicked off on Saturday, July 6, 2019. There are still plenty of coins remaining, as well as coins remaining from last year's Spokane Trains And Railroads (STAR) SpoCache Geocoin Challenge. If you have not done either, there is still time to earn both coins.

Inland Empire Chapter Report
July 15, 2019
by Jerry Martin (Martin 5)

Past Chapter Events:

06/14/2019
Meet Squirrel50
GC88551
21 Attendees

Upcoming Chapter Events:

None scheduled at this point in time; however, we are looking at possibly hosting a Smokey Bear 75th Anniversary event with Mr & Mrs Parts in August.

Upcoming Area Events:

07/19/2019
Luxembourg Comes to Coeur d'Alene
GC8A1MY by Misdavinci
Coeur d'Alene

08/04/2019
Multi or not?
GC89JTA by GeoCrackers
Liberty Lake

08/06/2019
Bye Bye, Zwaai, Zwaai
GC8A9A1 by GeoCrackers and RoosterFrog
Airway Heights

Chapter News:

The Fantastic Unbelievable Nonsense (FUN) SpoCache Geocoin Challenge, "where everything is made up and the points do not matter," kicked off on Saturday, July 6, 2019. There are still plenty of coins remaining, as well as coins remaining from last year's Spokane Trains And Railroads (STAR) SpoCache Geocoin Challenge. If you have not done either, there is still time to earn both coins.

South Central Chapter Report By Patrick McColley (TeamPAST)

South Central Chapter Report

July 2019

By Patrick McColley (TeamPAST)

Past Chapter Events

Future Chapter Events

GC8ATD3 - WSGA South Central 2019 Summer Picnic 8/11/2019

Area Events

FUTURE

GC8A15J - Kennewick WA M & G 7/24/2019

Sleepy_hollow is a cacher from Calgary Canada that will be in the area and has planned an evening meetup at an area coffee shop.

PAST

GC88D1A - TC 2019 CITO 6/30/2019

This event wrapped up the long weekend with roughly 200 people enjoying coffee and doughnuts before they cleaned up the park and open space nearby.

GC88542 - TC 2019 Dinner & Prizes 6/29/2019

After the long day caching we had around 400 people hang out socialize, have dinner and win some prizes in the raffles.

GC7XZDH - Tri-Cities 2019 Geocoin Challenge 6/29/2019

This was the MEGA event that had 900+ attendees and gave away nearly 525 geocoins for the 10th annual challenge.

GC87HPX - TC 2019 Meet & Greet 6/28/2019

The Friday night meet and greet brought together a few hundred cachers to play some games, win prizes and find a new night cache.

GC88T0G - Morning Meet & Greet in Kennewick! 6/28/2019

This event was hosted by Milestone17 during the Tri-Cities Mega event and had around 70 attendees drop by for coffee and pastries.

GC88D1H - TC 2019 Poker Run & Lab Cache Kick Off 6/27/2019

The kickoff event for the challenge weekend took over Shakeys Pizza for a few hours while almost two hundred cachers all gathered together for dinner and a poker run challenge.

SC Chapter News

The past few months we have been very involved with the local Parks and Rec departments working on the TC 2019 Geocoin Challenge. Now that this event has passed we are going to plan the summer picnic which should be published by the July meeting and begin working on more events for the remainder of the year.

Puget Sound Chapter Report by Winos_Seattle

No report submitted.

Olympic Peninsula Chapter Report by blue canoe

No report submitted.

South West Chapter Report by SuperKnots

WSGA SW Chapter Report

6/15/19 GC87Z5F

We had a meet and greet at Lake Sacajawea Park in Longview, WA. We had members who live farther north and were happy to attend an event closer to home. We had raffle prizes for general attendees plus WSGA members.

6/22/19 GC880CB

We attended a WWFM and were asked to represent WSGA and bring a banner for the group photo.

Upcoming

7/28/19 GC89BNW

WSGA SW Annual Picnic

We will have the traditional picnic / potluck. We ask attendees to bring a side dish or dessert. WSGA is providing burgers, hot dogs, condiments and drinks. This event will be from 4-7 pm at Pacific Community Park. We know there is another picnic up north earlier in the day. If you feel like a day of caching after your event, there will be food down here waiting.

8/18/19 GC82RVV

We will be volunteering on behalf of WSGA SW at Going APE X.
See you there.

Brian and Vickie Knott

The SuperKnotts

Parks Liaison Reports by Peaches (of Peaches&Pete)

Summary

First and foremost, I am forever grateful for the extraordinary assistance I received from so many WSGA members in launching the Valley Cities GeoTour. It was a much bigger task than working on a single city project, and without the support and assistance I received from numerous WSGA members, it would not have been as successful as it is. Although the WSGA contributed **NO CASH DOLLARS**, the assistance in many other ways was most welcomed and appreciated. After launch on May 18, 2019, the tour has been going for two months, and has garnered 577 favorite points as of 07/15/19, spread

around the 40 caches in the GeoTour. This has exceeded even my wildest anticipation. For our cache placement size, we have been quite successful!!! Thank you, WSGA for your support in this launch.

As I mentioned in my May report, I am still working to try to contact not only the previously named Parks Departments, but will make it a goal for my Parks Liaison position that I contact as many Parks Departments as possible to see if they are interested in learning more about how WSGA supports good placements in parks that align with their general parks rules and procedures. This will take a while, but the beauty of it is that we are not on a specific time table to accomplish this task.

Looking forward to how we can continue to help serve the WSGA in the coming year.

Annette Bailes (Peach&Pete)
WSGA Parks Liaison

Campout Director Reports by Peaches (of Peaches&Pete)
No report submitted.